Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Day of the Milkman Review

Day of the MilkmanDay of the Milkman by S.T. Cartledge
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I loved the thoroughly thought out alternate world depicted in this book. There are touching holograms and dead-and-remembered colleagues, as well as an obsolete way of life. Ultimately, this is a tribute to love and nourishment. New friends and family. Finding the new when the old is gone.

The epic climactic scenes ran a bit long for my taste, the action starting to wear me down (I guess this is justified because that's what the characters are going through). That said, I think this book works most when it's about the various relationships and the action sometimes gets in the way.

S.T. is not pretentious, and that goes along way in my book. However, the cover shows a milkman with a crate and not once did I have the pleasure of reading about a good old crate run!

In the final analysis, I'm glad I read this book. I think it's the literary equivalent of milk, though I prefer my milk in malts and anything else that sweetens and darkens the milk. If you prefer you're milk pure then this should be a 5-star read for you.

Random Observation:
Early on, I got some symbolism, probably in my own head. The Great White Sea is referenced as a terrifying and uncertain place and I couldn't help picturing S.T. staring at the blank white page and thinking: Great White Sea.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment