Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Rico Slade Will Fucking Kill You Review

Rico Slade Will Fucking Kill YouRico Slade Will Fucking Kill You by Bradley Sands
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is the fastest read I've ever undertaken. There is a welcome efficiency in the repetitive simple, declarative sentences that keep repeating the subject's name (Rico Slade does this...Rico Slade likes this...Rico Slade is this...). It reminds me of those internet Vin Diesel and Chuck Norris jokes. Oddly, this is a story about self-respect. There may be a tendency to dismiss this as elementary but I think this is all part of the intention of this indictment of society's values. Sands takes shortcuts like a passage where he writes that a character makes a sentimental/heartfelt speech instead of giving the actual speech.

I would love to see a committment to the Slade character because of the deliciously corny macho fantasy quality. But this story is quite amusing and propulsive. Dodgeball High is next on my list.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment