Sunday, December 21, 2014

So They're Telling You Not To Write (Or At Least Pursue It As A Career)

By the way, can't believe it's been fifteen days since my last post.   When the inspiration comes, it comes.

Anyhow, when  writers warn against pursuing writing, those warnings are futile.  Writing, like any creative endeavor, is a calling.  People don't just want to write for an arbitrary reason, it's like medicine, the news, government, films, and cuisine: people are drawn to it beyond reason. 

When a writer warns against the pursuit of writing, you may ask yourself: (then) why are they doing it?  It's because it's a calling they can't shake, maybe wish they didn't have, and venting some frustration.  There could be a more strategic thing going on as well; perhaps, the cautionary writer is trying to scare away competition, making it less difficult on themselves.

I found that I've become more serious about reading after becoming more serious about writing.  Therefore, my pursuit of writing has also added me to that frustrated writer's possible market, whereas, before I wasn't interested in anything contemporary (except film writing).  So if they're trying to reduce competition then they may also be reducing their market.

In the end, I don't think the cautionary writer has a hidden agenda, I think they are honestly trying to help.  That said, you can't convince a monkey to leave the trees for the suburbs.  A monkey's gotta do what a monkey's gotta do.  And fuck you, I'm not a monkey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment