Saturday, December 6, 2014

A Confluence of Kurt Vonnegut

Recently, at BizarroCon, Carlton Mellick III shared a Kurt Vonnegut quote. After that, I learned that one of my younger twins brothers is only interested in Kurt Vonnegut books. Then, I found Miss Temptation online at The Saturday Evening Post and I was like this is the most succinct story ever written, and it gave me confidence to use very short paragraphs and also nudged me to do more of some things and less of others. More of what? Less of what? Vonnegut's prose exudes inner beauty, of his characters, of his settings, of himself. The last two years I've written from a dark and ugly place. Vonnegut lets the grace shine through. More inner grace. Less negative energy. Less dark matter. My stories have been black holes primed to suck the reader in and spit them out mangled beyond recognition, except I was the one being mangled by rejection and disapproval. Now, I let the Fashion Rastas stare me on the path to salvation. Oh yeah, I/m gonna get me some Kurt collections and catch up as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment