Tuesday, April 28, 2015

My Weekend in Minneapolis for the Bizarro Bash - April 10-12



I was one of many people invited by author M.P. Johnson to attend the Bizarro Bash, which he was organizing to coincide with the Associated Writers Press Conference being held in Minneapolis.   The last (and first) time that I saw these people was BizzaroCon back in November 2014.  I thought it would be a good excuse to travel.  I decided the trip would be worthwhile due to the blogging material potential, especially for my photography blog: Scene Trip. 

Friday

I arrived at the airport early enough to buy coffee.  I was leaning toward Starbucks until I heard an old couple discussing how McDonald’s would have cheaper coffee.  So I actually went to McDonald’s.  I snagged some Starbucks sugars and other additions, getting the best of both worlds.

The airline crew was in an exceptional mood on the Friday of my departure.  It was announced that someone dropped something.  When people looked up, the young woman said, “Now that I’ve got your attention…” and she proceeded to go over the policies and safety procedures.  Another standout joke came when she explained the no smoking policy; she announced that they do have designated smoking areas, one on each wing, where the feature presentation will be Gone with the Wind.  It was a fun flight and relatively quiet. 

Caribou Coffee

There were reports of snow when we departed but you wouldn’t know it when we landed.  However, other thrills awaited me.  The Minneapolis/St. Paul airport is a world class airport that must surely be one of the world’s best.  The airport mall was filled to the brim with dining and shopping options and it was very clean and shiny unlike the notorious LAX.  Three places stood out.  First, I noticed the regional coffee chain, Caribou Coffee.  I ordered a blended mocha and I loved the super pale baristas.  There was a man and a woman.  The young man gave me a Lone Gunmen vibe with his long light-blonde hair worn in a ponytail, his glasses, and a similar voice.   Second, I noticed a Fox News store, which almost struck me as a practical joke played on the region (and representative of very different politics).  Lastly, there was a Native American themed store, Spirit of the Red Horse.  It was pretty inauthentic from the looks of it, but, nonetheless, intriguing to see.  

Fox News Channel Store

 Spirit of the Red Horse

There are two terminals, which are connected by tram.  Then the airport is connected by light rail to Mall of America (and points in between) to the south, and downtown Minneapolis (and points in between) to the north.  Overall, the airport provided a very welcoming introduction to the area. 

Checking into the hostel was not without minor issues, yet the overall experience was pleasant.  It wasn’t long after check-in that I had to head straight to The Cabooze for a late-night rock music show, the kind with a cheap cover charge.  However, before I left, I had a nice and short conversation with the male manager.  I claimed a seat in a secluded tier in the back.  I had the section to myself most of the night.  Sadly, I sat for a whole hour before the show even began.  The show lasted for four hours, which meant that I sat there for five hours without any drinks or food because funds were limited.  The highlights were (1) the second band, Little Man, (2) the guitarist, with cool wavy blonde hair and even cooler moves, from The Red Daughters, and (3) some sax and pedal-heavy songs from the headliners, Ghost Towns of the West.  This was for an assignment for my community college rock music class.  Taking care of class business made the trip all the more worthwhile.      

Saturday

Saturday morning I discovered the classical radio station KSJN 99.5, one of the few remaining full-time classical radio stations in the country.  KSJN has a really neat Saturday morning program that features Hollywood tunes in the classical tradition.  My first stop was the University of Minnesota, Minneapolis.  It was a beautiful, sunny morning on a nice campus.  From there I went to Boom Island Park on the east bank of the Mississippi River.  Then I went to Mall of America.  Mall of America is four stories of shopping and dining surrounding an indoor amusement park.  There is also an underground aquarium.  It lived up to its reputation. Then I walked over to The Ramada (historic Thunderbird Hotel), which was rather underwhelming.  Then it was time for the Bizarro Bash, the original reason for the trip. 

The Bizarro Bash was held at Grumpy’s Bar & Grill, east of the city center.  It was more packed than I would have liked.  The readings were generally underwhelming compared to BizarroCon, which features the best of the best.  I didn’t get any photos.  I didn’t socialize much.  However, I learned of a writer, which gave the trip some networking value.  That writer is Eric Hendrixson.  He was far and away the highlight of the evening.  He read a hilarious piece catering to writers and editors about rejection.  The story is about a young woman who submits unrelated poetry to a publication entitled The Horse Fucker Review one too many times.  This reading alone offset all the disappointments. 

Afterwards, I visited a candy store called Candyland located just off of Nicollet Mall.  I bought some rock candy and decided to return to my lodgings early since the previous night had been such a late one.  I had a nice time staying up in the “living room” with some complementary coffee while reviewing photos and videos, tending to my social media, and otherwise relaxing while the sounds of KSJN graced the otherwise quiet space.  During that night, I had another pleasant conversation with the male manager. 

Sunday

I reserved my entire meal budget, with the exception of coffee beverages, for Sunday.  I had breakfast at The Bad Waitress diner (Out-Of-This-Earth Scramble) and lunch at Quang Restaurant (plain pho with onions).  The Bad Waitress is distinct because servers don’t take your order or seat you (unless you’re a large party).  Customers take a seat wherever they choose and write down their own orders and present them at the register.  Then you pay.  You take your seat again and wait for the food and that’s it.  It was a nice, down to Earth experience. 

Following breakfast, I enjoyed a bike ride from my hostel down to the northern tip of Lake Harriet and back, riding the length of Lake Calhoun.  I also visited the southern tip of Lake of the Isles.  My last stop was the Minneapolis Sculpture Garden before revisiting the city center one more time before returning to the airport.  Unfortunately, I never took any pictures of the airport mall because I figured that it would create problems if I took out my DSLR in this highly secured environment.  That’s another reason to get a cell phone/camera. 

The returning flight was not as fun.  There were unruly/fussy little kids and babies.  The crew was not humorous.  And, of course, the fun and the weekend were ending.  I then had to wait longer than ideal for the LAX Flyaway shuttle, which led to an even longer wait at the train station for the last Pacific Surfliner of the night, which was delayed an hour.  However, KJAZZ was broadcasting a nice LACMA Kathleen Grace concert during the LAX Flyaway ride.  I also got lucky and didn’t have to pay. 

Although the trip went out with a whimper, the overall experience was a hopping one, at least as hopping as it gets for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment