Thursday, February 12, 2015

Stephen Graham Jones: Professor Role-Model

I thought all university professors in English and writing programs were stiffs for a while.  Then I saw Stephen Graham Jones.  He was publishing horror, suspense, science fiction, and bizarro (cult, mash-up, hybrid, all-over-the-place, leave your squeamishness and paranoia at the door) fiction. Stephen Graham Jones, granted, is not as hardcore genre as most, he's more about subtractive prose than hammer-and-nails prose.  He makes the reader work for it.  Let's not overlook his cornerstone "Native American" literature, especially Blackfeet.

Stephen Graham Jones


Wait.  Rewind.  I learned of Stephen Graham Jones when I was doing faculty research for my University of Colorado, Boulder MFA personal statement.  Funny thing is, that's not exactly true.  I actually learned of him as an Amazon recommendation when I was researching Sherman Alexie books.  However, I relearned about Jones from the Colorado research.

I owe much to him and, hopefully, he will owe much to me someday.  I learned of and attended my first BizarroCon because of him.  I also caught up on the MTV series Teen Wolf due to his influence.  Then there was a slew of werewolf movies that I watched because of his social media posts.  Stephen Graham Jones has a reputation for being the werewolf guy.  He's big on zombies, too, even if they're not as cool.

Stephen Graham Jones appears fictionalized under a hilarious pseudonym in my latest story, which I hope will make the cut in the Bradley Sands edited bizarro anthology How to Win at Ultravision.  I was validated when he quickly replied to my Facebook message asking him about tea preferences with the notice that his answers may be published.  I think there is a respect growing.  After all, many of my friends are his.  Even though I'm not his friend yet, he can see my posts on common friends' pages.  That makes me hopeful.

No matter what, Jones is a prolific scribe-monster to be reckoned with.  Mellick III is more prolific still.      

One thing about Stephen Graham Jones is that he is one of the best generators of promotional book review quotes.  He has fashioned epic quotes promoting Bradley Sands and David Barbee, that I know of.  Probably did more.   

"In my worst nightmares, the werewolves have these glowing fangs. David Barbee takes that about twenty steps farther, in here. Now I've got new nightmares. Better nightmares."

This is a man who seems to take too much pleasure in his nightmares.   Can we trust a man with such views? 

Speaking of nightmares.  He once said that he was no use on camera.  I think he has a very definite use.  Sure, he's not Brad Pitt or Cary Grant, but he's got the rugged, wild man look.   

Hopefully, our paths will cross. 

No comments:

Post a Comment